UNEXPECTED FINANCIAL HARDSHIP SUPPORT | YALE COLLEGE
Welcome to Yale College Safety Net for Yale College Students. This system is designed for currently enrolled students who experience emergency and unexpected financial hardship directly related to their education at Yale.
Please note that if this is an emergency requiring immediate funding (within 24 hours), submit a funding request here and also get in touch with the Head or Dean of your Residential College.
A Few Safety Net Notes
- In 2018-19, approximately 50% of requests were funded, or solved with a loan of equipment
- Around 65% of requests are responded to in 5 business days or fewer. Some require more time
- Depending on the request, you might be offered a small personal financial loan to meet your need
- Many technology funding requests are supported with loaner equipment
- Safety Net is not for things which you can plan for (eg. spring break, graduation expenses, storage)
Funding Request Categories
Requests will be considered in the following categories, but please note that funding is not guaranteed:
- Winter clothing - preferential consideration for:
- Requests considered: October 1-January 31
- High-need students unfamiliar with winter weather
- First and Second year students
- Students who were ineligible to receive a start-up grant
- Job/National fellowship interviews
- Medical expenses
- Beyond insurance coverage
- For high-need students only
- Requests for support during breaks
- Top-ups to the International Summer Award (ISA) or the Domestic Summer Award (DSA) cannot be considered
- Requests for the purchase of new technology will be denied
- Most requests are met with loaner equipment or assistance with repair
- Upgrades to cell phones or replacement laptops are unlikely to be considered
- Emergency travel, pre-arrival/departure expenses
- OPT (Optional Practical Training) costs are ineligible
- Requests to bring family for graduation cannot be considered
- Books and academic supplies
- For high-need students only
- Yale College Ensembles: Glee Club, Symphony Orchestra, Yale Bands
- Costs associated with activities and/or travel that constitute “full participation” in ensembles
- Costs associated with instruments and equipment that allow for full participation in ensembles
- Costs associated with fee-for-service lessons and materials
- Non-essential, non-emergency items cannot be considered
Make a Funding Request
If you are unexpectedly experiencing financial hardship, you may be eligible for emergency funding support from Yale College. We encourage you to research all of your options before requesting support through this portal.
To be considered for support, please submit an application below.
Once you have submitted an application, you will receive an email with a unique link to your submission.
We will review your request and provide a response via email within 5 business days. Please note that funding is not guaranteed. Each request is evaluated on a case-by-case basis.