Taxes can be a dry topic, but chances are that at some point, you’re going to have to file them! Read on for some tips and tricks regarding taxes that a typical student must file.

What are taxes and when do I need to file them?

If you have any type of income, whether that be from a job or in the form of a scholarship or grant, then you will likely be required to pay taxes on that income. “Tax Day” is April 15, and marks the deadline by which you must file taxes on all income earned during the previous calendar year. If you are filing taxes as a single person, you are only required to file taxes if you make $12,200 in income during the year. If you made less than that, but have had income taxes withheld from you throughout the year, you will likely qualify for a tax refund and might then want to file anyway in order to get your money back. 

To file your taxes, there are certain forms you must submit to the IRS — keep reading to learn more! Taxes can seem daunting, but the best way to avoid any unnecessary stress regarding taxes is to plan ahead and become informed. 

Education-related taxes on scholarships, fellowships, and grants

According to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), scholarships, fellowships, and grants, including financial aid, are tax free only to a certain extent. In order to determine what qualifies as tax free, one must understand the difference between qualified and non-qualified education expenses. Here are some examples:

  • Qualified Education Expenses:
    • Tuition and fees required to enroll at an eligible educational institution.
    • Course related expenses, such as fees, books, supplies, and equipment that are required for the courses.
  • Non-qualified Education Expenses:
    • Room and board
    • Health insurance
    • Research
    • Travel

It is important to remember that if any part of your scholarship, fellowship, or grant goes toward non-qualified education expenses, you will have to file a tax return according to the IRS. This is because your scholarship is viewed as individual income under the federal government if it is not purposely used for a qualified educational expense.

Here are some relevant forms to file your education-related taxes:

  • 1098-T: Tallies expenses paid to the college or university
  • 1098-e: Summarizes student loan interest payments
    • If you are paying back federal student loans, you can qualify for up to a $2,500 tax deduction based on the student loan interest you have paid. You can use the 1098-e to file for that deduction

International students may have to pay different types of taxes. Yale’s Office of International Study and Service (OISS) has resources on paying taxes as an international student.

Other income taxes

If you worked a full time or part time job, you may have to file taxes on that income as well. You are only required to file taxes if you made $12,200 total during the calendar year (including any scholarships or grants that go toward non-qualified educational expenses,) but even if you did not make that much, you may still wish to file. Check to see whether your place of work has been deducting money from your paycheck to go to taxes. If they have, chances are, you are entitled to a refund from the IRS! So even if you are not required to file those taxes, you may still want to in order to get your money back.

Here are some relevant forms to file taxes for your job:

  • W-2: you should get this from your place of work once the calendar year ends (likely in January or February.) This form is used to file all standard income taxes.
  • 1099: use this form if you earned money through an app-based job, such as Uber or Lyft. 

Ways to submit your tax return: 

You can always file your taxes online directly to the IRS; however, the process can be clunky. There are many third party apps and websites that offer free and secure ways to file your taxes in a more straightforward manner. Some popular sites include TurboTax, H&R Block, and Credit Karma. 

The resources below give even more information about tax requirements and list many ways to file your taxes online for free.


Tax Resources

Topics: Budgeting; Earning; Loans; Saving; Spending; Taxes | Featured Resource

LIT is a financial education program that teaches students how to manage their money while in school and prepare for financial life after graduation. Over the course of ~80 videos, LIT guides students through seven major personal finance topics: Money Mindset, Cash Flow & Net Worth, Credit & Loans, Taxes, Insurance, Investing, and Retirement.

Topics: Taxes | Featured Resource

This publication explains tax benefits that may be available to you if you are saving for or paying education costs for yourself or, in many cases, another student who is a member of your immediate family. Most benefits apply only to higher education.

Topics: Taxes

Do you know there are specific expenses related to your education that are taxable? There is a distinction between "qualified educational expenses" and expenses that do not qualify.

Topics: Budgeting; Earning; Emergencies; Employment; Financial Aid; Grants, Fellowships, and Awards; Investing; Loans; Saving; Spending; Student Loans; Taxes

Looking to get some money for summer travel? Cant figure out how to fill out that annoying financial doc? Or just looking for some pro tips on financial wellness? We have you covered. This page is full of amazing resources, curated and written by folks who's primary interest is your financial well being. Click on any of the campus resources below to learn more

Topics: Financial Aid; Spending; Taxes

Want to better understand what you are paying and when? Want to keep track of your payments? Looking to learn more about financial aid, or tax reporting? Click here to learn more.

Topics: Taxes

Do you know if you need to file taxes this year? You can read more about filing taxes as a student.

Topics: Taxes

Filing taxes can be very confusing task to complete, especially as a first time filer. Learn more about which forms are needed and how to file your taxes for free through this article.

Topics: Financial Aid; Spending; Taxes

Questions about financial aid documents? Want to know what Yale's financial aid means for your family? Want to figure out what you are paying and why? Want to make an appointment? The Financial Aid website is your first stop!

Topics: Earning; Employment; Taxes

The Yale Student Employment Office (SEO) provides assistance to both students and employers in meeting their employment needs. SEO provides free job posting and on-line application services to the campus and local community.